You have the opportunity to be used to change someone's life.
- Invest time and energy
- Love your Forerunner no matter what
- Watch the Lord transform his life over time
What Do I Need to do to Become a Mentor?
We are looking for men who have the following:
- Time to invest into mentoring
- A personal and intimate relationship with Jesus Christ
- Membership at a local church
- If married, the blessing of their wife and children
- At a minimum, the ability to fulfill at two year commitment
- Live within 8 miles of Lake Highlands High School
What exactly is Mentoring?
We believe 90% of mentoring is about showing up.
Mentoring is about building a trusting relationship with another person and investing into that relationship for their benefit. The heart of mentoring is found in the question “How can I help you?” as opposed to “What can I teach you?”
The best mentors follow the example of Jesus Christ.
- They show up no matter what
- They speak truth in an encouraging way
- They have an intimate relationship with God the Father
Relationships Change Lives.
If you ask an adult "Who had the greatest impact on your life?", it would not take them long to answer that question. That's because relationships change lives. It's not about lectures, books, or sermons. It's all about relationships. And relationships take time.
Look at Jesus. He spent the majority of his ministry pouring into 12 men. He spent time with them and showed them how to act. After his death, those 12 men changed the world. Jesus was all about relationships.
More is Caught than Taught
Sure, you can sit down and tell a young man the "6 Steps to Become a Godly Man", but our experiences tell us that that doesn't work out too well. Actions speak louder than words. He is going to learn how to become a Godly man by watching you be a Godly man.
What is the time commitment as a Mentor?
We ask that you see your Forerunner at the minimum, once every two weeks. We prefer once a week.
We ask that you contact him via text or a phone call once a week.
We also ask that you make every effort to come to our Forerunner events.
Will You Train Us?
Yes! We will be by your side as you develop a relationship with your Forerunner. We will be here to guide you through the tough times and celebrate with you during the good times. We got your back.
Steps to Becoming a Mentor
Our hope is for a mentor to be used by the Lord to change the life of his Forerunner. It is important that we are thoughtful and thorough in our matching process. We do not take lightly the fact that our mentors could have a great impact in the lives of our fatherless youth. We want to make sure that each mentor knows the expectations and is of sound, Godly character. Due to this, our potential mentor intake process is robust.
We want our mentors to be as ready and equipped as possible. Relationships are all unique and intricate, but our staff is here to support the mentors in the good times and the hard times. From the very beginning, we want mentors to be as informed as possible about relational ministry with our families in Lake Highlands
Here are the steps required to become a mentor:
1. Attend a Forerunner Mentoring Orientation or Meet with Staff Member - We will share information about our mission, vision, history, expectations and answer frequently asked questions. Check our calendar for dates of upcoming trainings.
2. Complete Online Mentor Application - Complete our application, review and sign our child safety policies and procedures and child abuse policy. You must also complete an Richardson ISD volunteer application form, which can be found here.
3. Complete MinistrySafe Training and background check - Forerunner will email you a link to a one hour sexual abuse training video after completing your application. Immediately following the video, completed the simple online quiz.
4. Interview with Forerunner Staff - Forerunner will contact you to schedule a 30 minute interview to get to know you and to see if Forerunner Mentoring is a good fit for you and your family. If you are married or engaged, we ask that your spouse or future spouse attend the meeting as well. We will not match you with a Forerunner until your family knows and agrees to the expectations of Forerunner.
5. Meet the Child and their Family - This is where the commitment to mentor is made. When we set up an initial meeting for you to meet the child and their guardians, you are committing to mentor that child for a minimum of two years.
Applicants must pass a criminal background check and complete an interview. Applicants are also reviewed on their past experience and commitments in volunteering with children, their expressed reasons for wanting to mentor, and their overall display of passion, authenticity, and desire to be challenged and transformed through the mentoring relationship. Not all who apply will be chosen to mentor.
Please only fill this out if you have read the information above. This application is to be completed by all mentors. It is used to help the ministry provide a safe and nurturing environment for its families and children, and to learn more about you the potential mentor. The following questions are very personal and for a variety of reasons may be difficult to answer. Your responses do not automatically exclude you from being considered for a position, but will help us determine your readiness for ministry at this time.
Please be prepared to spend at least 30 minutes on this application.
ALL FIELDS ARE MANDATORY.
If something does not apply to you fill in “N/A”.